Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Something old....something new!

My parents recently went to visit my Uncle Bruce and Aunt Marlina in AL and knowing my love of fixing up old furniture my mom jumped at the opportunity to bring me an old dresser Marlina was getting rid of. This cute little number has a textured surface and tons of potential and I couldn't wait to get out my paints and brushes and give it a face lift!

Luckily the other weekend was fairly cool and I was able to open my doors and let the air blow through the screens to keep the fumes at bay so I could paint! I pulled out my drop clothe and went to work.
2 paint brushes, 3 colors, and a few hours later and this little baby was done! I am still on the hunt for the perfect pull drawer handles but in the mean time I am quite pleased with myself!

And the results are.......

I absolutely love fixing up used furniture and would love to do it more often. Wouldn't it be nifty if I could turn this hobby into a career? Speaking of career.....

I am officially a Financial Service Representative which is a fancy name for "bank teller that doesn't get paid enough to put up with crazy people's shenanigans"! I had 8 days of in-class training and 2 days observing another teller. Now I am the one being observed. I cannot even begin to explain the amount of information that was crammed into my brain in such a short amount of time! Information overload! I have already gotten some dirty looks and a few "Aww, you must be new" smiles. I've even been been tempted to crawl under the desk and hide! Another teller was helping a woman and she began to pitch a hissy fit when she didn't get her way (because what she was asking us to do is illegal) and she began screaming and even threw the telephone at the teller after getting done talking to the manager! I sat back wide eyed trying not to hyperventilate! When I left for lunch that day I called my mom bawling my eyes out and told her I can't handle this! I still don't know if I can handle it! I don't feel like a bank teller, I don't act like a bank teller, and I sure as heck don't look like a bank teller! I am a poser! My inner hippy is seriously rebelling! I've been thinking about it and the only other job I can imagine having right now is to work at Starbucks! I love coffee! Coffee runs through my veins! If it could be administered through an IV I would be hooked up! Currently none of the Starbucks in the area are hiring but if a position opens up I don't think I would hesitate to take it!

3 comments:

Betsy said...

LOVE IT! It's so cute and you definitely have a talent for this.

Joy Martin said...

Jessica, you are amazing!! Not only are you amazing at refinishing furniture creatively, but you're an amazing communicator/writer!! and photographer. Of course, you probably already knew that, but I thought as your "Aunt Joy" I would tell you that openly :) It also made me think of this great piece of furniture I have sitting in my bedroom that flakes off old paint on a regular basis as it is crying out for someone to relieve it of it's paint and get it back to it's original condition. Any chance of you coming up and "visiting" us for a few days and I can somehow pay you to do my dresser ??? :) I'll take you to lots of wonderful New England places-full of antiques!!! Come for Carrye's wedding Sept. 27th. She's getting married at a castle in Old Saybrook, CT. Anyway!! also, what kind of camera to you use? You know Rachel's very much like you on that subject and has been taking off with this adventure. Keep in touch---we're facebook friends or my e-mail: joy.martin@comcast.net . Love you dearly ~ Joy

Kristal said...

I love what you did with that dresser! Holy cow you need to be doing that to make money and not dealing with the crazies at the bank. I wish I had lots of money so we could open our own art store. You could sell your furniture and I could sell my glass. How awesome would that be?